“There is so much uncertainty when the elite swimmers from the pool swimming community and their counterparts from the open water swimming community get together for a face-off in the RCP Tiburon Mile,” observed Steven Munatones who has seen several close finishes over the years.
“The athletes – whether they are the top elite or amateur newcomers – all think about what line to the finish will they take. Once they get in the water and head into the Raccoon Strait, they ask themselves – or have already pre-decided – should they swing wide left or wide right?
Of course, nearly everyone is drafting off someone, but when the gun goes off, it is a great race to participate in and to watch.”
In addition to the national Italian open water teams, the following are among the elite swimmers who will compete in the RCP Tiburon Mile this weekend:
• Alex Meyer (USA) 2012 Olympian (10th in 10 km), 2010 FINA 25 km world champion
• Ferry Weertman (Netherlands) 2016 Olympic marathon swim gold medalist, 2017 FINA 10 km world champion, multi-time European 5 km and 10 km champion
• Ranomi Kromowidjojo (Netherlands) 3-time Olympic gold medalist (400m freestyle relay + 50m freestyle + 100m freestyle) with 3 relay world records and 3 individual world records
• Zane Grothe (USA) 2018 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships 1500m gold medalist, 500y and 1650y Freestyle American record holder
• Ashley Twichell (USA) 2017 5 km FINA world champion, 4-time FINA world championship medalist, 3-time RCP Tiburon Mile winner
• Ricardo Vargas (Mexico) 5 km Mexican open water champion
• Dave Heron (USA) 3-time national 5 km champion, 2018 Pan Pacific Swimming Team member
• Becca Mann (USA) USA national 10 km champion, multi-time USA National Swim Team member
• Michael Sheil (Australia) 2016 RCP Tiburon Mile 2nd place, participated in many RCP Tiburon Mile Trans Tahoe Relay teams
* Rachele Bruni (Italy) 2016 Olympic marathon swim silver medalist, World University Games gold medalist, multi-time European championship medalist
Copyright © 2008-2018 by World Open Water Swimming Association